Arthritis Surgery and Joint Reconstruction, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 1986
Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1988
University of Washington, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1985
University of Southern California School of Medicine, 1980
Valley Medical Center, Renton
Dr. William Barrett is board certified and fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in primary and revision hip and knee replacement. He performs over 500 joint replacement procedures annually. He is actively involved in clinical research on Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement (THR) and Total Knee Replacement (TKR). His research department maintains a prospective joint registry, tracking the outcomes of their hip and knee replacement patients. As a nationally recognized joint replacement surgeon, Dr. Barrett lectures globally on hip and knee replacement topics. He has been active in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Continuing Medical Education programs. He is the chairman of the Education Committee for the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS).
Dr. Barrett has been, and continues to be, involved in the design of some of the most commonly used hip and knee replacement systems. He is the medical director for the Joint Center at Valley Medical Center in Renton, WA, recognized by HealthGrades as one of America's 100 best hospitals for Joint Replacement 2014 -2016. The Center for Medical Services ranks Valley Medical Center one of the Top 95 centers for joint replacement in the U.S., and the only recognized center in Washington state. He is president of the VOA Research Foundation and practices at the Proliance Orthopedic Associates Renton office.
Dr. Barrett was named a top doctor for joint replacement from 2007-2016 by Seattle Magazine and Seattle Metropolitan Magazine.
Dr. Barrett has published book chapters and medical journal articles, and presented to the global medical community:
- Book chapter: "Total Knee Arthroplasty Following Prior Unicompartmental Replacement" in Revision Total Knee Replacement 2nd Edition, Springer 2018
- Book chapter: "Primary Total Hip: Modular Stems in Advanced Reconstruction": Hip 2 AAOS 2016
- Faculty, AAHKS 1st, 2nd and 3rd Annual Spring Meeting, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Journal Article: The Use of Metaphyseal Sleeves in Revision Total Knee Replacement The Knee. 2016; 23(3):545-548
- Poster presentation "Midterm Results of a Moderately Crosslinked Polyethylene": A Retrospective Review. ICJR Pan Pacific Congress. July 22-25, 2015
- Journal Article, "In-Vivo Alignment Comparing Patient Specific Instrumentation with both Conventional and /Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) Instrumentation in Total Knee Arthroplasty", The Journal of Arthroplasty, February 2014
- Journal Article "Prospective Randomized Study of Direct Anterior vs Posterio-Lateral Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty", The Journal of Arthroplasty, October 2013
- Journal Article "Large Diameter Modular Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty: Incidence of Revision for Adverse Reaction to Metallic Debris," the Journal of Arthroplasty, June 2012
- Journal Article "Comparison of Radiographic Alignment of Imageless Computer-Assisted Surgery vs. Conventional Instrumentation in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty," Barrett et al, The Journal of Arthroplasty, December 2011
- Faculty, "Anterior Approach to Total Hip Arthroplasty," DePuy Orthopaedics Tissue-Sparing Solutions, Henderson, NV, 2009-2018
- Faculty, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons course, "Knee Arthroplasty: Uni, Total and Revision, Insight and New Technique," Chicago, IL, October 2008-2011
Testimonials for William P. Barrett, M.D.
From the first appointment to my follow up seven weeks after hip surgery, everything that I experienced was very professional. My surgery was perfect and my recovery was phenomenal! One week after surgery I was walking without a walker...
- Kenneth B.
I want to thank Dr. Barrett for the change in my life. After a very long winter here in the Okanogan, I got to take a long walk (had to chase cows) as I headed down my driveway which is a 1/4 mile long. The old fear of the pain from...
My name is Rebecca and I’m a patient of Dr. Barrett. I couldn’t be more thrilled about the success of my hip surgery. The whole process was an enjoyable one, from start to finish. I appreciated all the friendly and helpful...
- Rebecca E.