Arthritis Surgery and Joint Reconstruction, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 1986
Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1988
University of Washington, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1985
University of Southern California School of Medicine, 1980
Valley Medical Center, Renton
Dr. William Barrett is board certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in primary and revision hip and knee replacement. He performs over 500 joint replacement procedures annually. He is actively involved in clinical research on Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement (THR) and Total Knee Replacement (TKR). His research department maintains a prospective joint registry, tracking the outcomes of their hip and knee replacement patients. As a nationally recognized joint replacement surgeon, Dr. Barrett lectures globally on hip and knee replacement topics. He has been active in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Continuing Medical Education programs. He is the chairman of the Education Committee for the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS).
Dr. Barrett has been and continues to be, involved in the design of some of the most commonly used hip and knee replacement systems. He is the medical director for the Joint Center at Valley Medical Center in Renton, WA, recognized by HealthGrades as one of America's 100 best hospitals for Joint Replacement 2014 -2016. The Center for Medical Services ranks Valley Medical Center one of the Top 95 centers for joint replacement in the U.S., and the only recognized center in Washington state. He is president of the VOA Research Foundation and practices at the Proliance Orthopedic Associates Renton office.
Dr. Barrett was named a top doctor for joint replacement from 2007-2016 by Seattle Magazine and Seattle Metropolitan Magazine.
Dr. Barrett has published book chapters and medical journal articles, and presented to the global medical community:
- Journal Article "Prospective Randomized Study of Direct Anterior Approach vs Posterolateral Approach Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Concise 5-year Follow-up Evaluation," Journal of Arthroplasty, February 2019
- Faculty, AAHKS 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Annual Spring Meeting, 2016, 2017, 2018
- AudioDigest Orthopaedics Vol 43 Issue 11 " Cementless Fixation for Total Knee Arthroplasty," June 2020
- Book chapter: "Total Knee Arthroplasty Following Prior Unicompartmental Replacement" in Revision Total Knee Replacement 2nd Edition, Springer 2018
- Book chapter: "Primary Total Hip: Modular Stems in Advanced Reconstruction": Hip 2 AAOS 2016
- Journal Article: The Use of Metaphyseal Sleeves in Revision Total Knee Replacement The Knee. 2016; 23(3):545-548
- Poster presentation "Midterm Results of a Moderately Crosslinked Polyethylene": A Retrospective Review. ICJR Pan Pacific Congress. July 22-25, 2015
- Journal Article, "In-Vivo Alignment Comparing Patient Specific Instrumentation with both Conventional and /Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) Instrumentation in Total Knee Arthroplasty", The Journal of Arthroplasty, February 2014
- Journal Article "Prospective Randomized Study of Direct Anterior vs Posterio-Lateral Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty", The Journal of Arthroplasty, October 2013
- Journal Article "Large Diameter Modular Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty: Incidence of Revision for Adverse Reaction to Metallic Debris," the Journal of Arthroplasty, June 2012
- Journal Article "Comparison of Radiographic Alignment of Imageless Computer-Assisted Surgery vs. Conventional Instrumentation in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty," Barrett et al, The Journal of Arthroplasty, December 2011
- Faculty, "Anterior Approach to Total Hip Arthroplasty," DePuy Orthopaedics Tissue-Sparing Solutions, Henderson, NV, 2009-2018
- Faculty, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons course, "Knee Arthroplasty: Uni, Total and Revision, Insight and New Technique," Chicago, IL, October 2008-2011
Testimonials for William P. Barrett, M.D.
I am a Dairy Farmer, and I can’t say enough about how my double hip replacement, changed my quality of life. I tell everyone, and they see the results. I think the results, which are and were beyond my expectations, the best. I cant thank you enough. I have a couple of other parts that need work, cant wait to get back to POA to have things taken care of.
Dear Dr. Barrett, Kayte, and Olivia,
We’ve had a week of skiing here in this gorgeous area of Lech Zuers and St. Anton. Over 94 lifts-miles! My new hip of October 2012 and knee injections allowed for 6 straight days of skiing -thanks so much.
From the first appointment to my follow up seven weeks after hip surgery, everything that I experienced was very professional. My surgery was perfect and my recovery was phenomenal! One week after surgery I was walking without a walker or cane. I am now back to doing things that I couldn’t do prior to surgery and I am biking daily. I highly recommend Dr. Barrett and the surgical technique he uses!
Dr. Barrett Resources